Mark represents individuals who have suffered wrongful death or serious personal injury due to medical malpractice and other causes. His litigation practice has involved birth injury claims, as well as other medical malpractice claims in areas such as failure to timely diagnose cancer, negligent surgical procedures, negligent administration of anesthesia, and emergency room negligence. In 2004, Mark began to work in association with a number of the Schroeter Goldmark & Bender attorneys on complex birth injury cases. After succeeding together on a number of these cases, Mark was asked to become “Of Counsel” to the firm in 2005.
Prior to attending law school Mark Burke worked in and then became a director for eight years of a non-profit residential treatment center for emotionally disturbed adolescents. He went on to attend the University of Toronto and then received his law degree from Queens University. After initially working as a lawyer in a large multi-specialty law firm in Toronto, Mark moved to Los Angeles, where he eventually began his own firm focusing on complex medical and other professional malpractice litigation. Mark became licensed in Washington state in 1988 and has maintained a practice in both states for over 20 years.
- $17 million medical malpractice verdict in a birth injury/hypoglycemia case. Infant left in a permanent vegetative state after a failure to diagnose neonatal hypoglycemia.
- $2.7 million medical malpractice verdict in a birth injury/shoulder dystocia (entrapment in birth canal) case. Infant has a permanently partially disabled arm.
- $3.4 million medical malpractice verdict in a birth injury/neonatal resuscitation case. Infant suffers from some developmental delay and walking disabilities caused by failure to properly resuscitate following a difficult labor.
DISCLAIMER: This is the fine print, but our fine print is regular size and in clear language. These client quotes and settlement/verdict figures are examples of the results we have obtained for others. Their cases were different from yours, so your result is sure to be different. We post these results for you to see that we have a track record of hard work, client service, and trial success. We won’t guarantee the results of your case, but we will guarantee to bring the same passion, skill, and experience when we fight for you.
- Queens University, J.D., 1981
- California Supreme Court
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of California
- U.S. Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals
- Washington Supreme Court
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Washington
Professional and Civic Involvement
- Elected to American Board of Trial Advocates (A.B.O.T.A.) in 1998
- EL Centro de la Raza: Provides bi-weekly legal workshops to Hispanic community
- Member, Washington State Bar Association
- Member, California State Bar Association