Jim has been a successful litigator for many years. He has handled hundreds of hearings, arbitrations, and trials. His broad litigation experience extends across multiple categories of litigation involving harm to individuals, whether physical, mental, or financial. Whether the result was a multi-million-dollar settlement, a hard-fought victory at trial or a small victory for a deserving client, Jim brings a thoughtful and committed approach to every case he handles. In addition to handling the most serious personal injury cases, often cases involving spinal or brain injury, Jim also has handled consumer law matters and finds that a fascinating and important area of law. He uses trial skills developed through decades of hotly contested major personal injury litigation to give his clients the best chance to prevail in their claim, whatever the value.
Jim joined Schroeter Goldmark & Bender because he believed it was the finest trial firm in the Northwest and one of the finest in the nation. He is proud to be part of its ongoing tradition. Jim carries the highest rating, “AV”, for attorneys from the nationally respected Martindale-Hubbell service. He also has received the Public Justice Award from the Washington State Association for Justice (formerly, the Washington State Trial Lawyers Association).
- $4 million settlement against the State of Washington for collision caused by state trooper, resulting in serious brain injury and spinal trauma.
- $2 million settlement from an auto-pedestrian accident where a grandmother was run over and killed while walking with her two young grandchildren.
- $1.4 million judgment against husband and wife for sexual assault of a young boy.
- $1 million jury verdict for an ironworker injured during the construction of a skyscraper in downtown Seattle.
- $800,000 settlement on behalf of a maintenance employee who suffered serious burns after attempting to change a fuse in an electrical panel.
- $1 million medical malpractice settlement involving poor care of baby during birth, resulting in permanent neurological deficits.
- $400,000 settlement on behalf of a bicycle commuter struck by a Laidlaw Transit Bus.
- Toxic tort victory for Washington workers. Jim represented workers, mainly women, who developed serious occupational diseases from working with phenol-formaldehyde resins. We sued both the manufacturer of the resin and Boeing for intentionally and repeatedly exposing its workers to this toxic material. This case changed Washington law by allowing workers greater freedom to sue employers when their injuries were claimed to have been the result of deliberate employer actions.
- $660,000 jury verdict on behalf of a construction worker (plasterer) who sustained fractures to both heels after falling 12 feet from a scaffolding to a concrete sidewalk below. This was one of the largest construction site jury verdicts in Snohomish County history.
- $250,000 jury verdict on behalf of an organic farmer who sustained a non-surgical lower back injury. This was one of the largest verdicts in Cowlitz County history for such an injury. The jury award was made despite pre-existing back problems that had required extensive chiropractic treatment.
- Millions of dollars of confidential settlements for product liability, medical malpractice, auto accident, and construction claims.
- Washington State
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Washington
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Washington
- U.S. Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals
- United States Supreme Court
- University of California at Los Angeles, B.A. cum laude
- University of California, Boalt Hall School of Law, J.D.
- Comments and Research Editor, Ecology Law Quarterly
Professional and Civic Involvement
- Recipient of 1998 Public Justice Award, Washington State Association for Justice
- Rated AV, the highest rating for attorneys of the well-regarded Martindale-Hubbell service for over two decades.
- Boalt Hall School of Law (Univ. of California at Berkeley), Comments & Research Editor, Ecology Law Quarterly Law Review. B.A., cum laude, UCLA
- Member of the Washington State Association for Justice
- Member of the Seattle/King County Bar Association & Washington State Bar Association
- Longstanding member of the American Association for Justice
- Active in support for Habitat for Humanity and YMCA Foster Family Program
- West Seattle Democrats
- Seminar speaker and teacher on a variety of topics
Absolutely the kindest, nicest lawyer out there. Outstanding at trial, very likable for a jury and for his clients. Extremely professional yet easy to talk to, keeps you informed. I have recommended him several times and will continue to do so.
Jim Hailey and co-council Kris Hauser have and are still handling a medical malpractice for me. My personal and professional experience with them is second to none. I have and will continue to refer clients to them.